- Atomic Bonding
- Interaction Potential
- States of Matter
Watch different types of molecules form a solid, liquid, or gas. Add or remove heat and watch the phase change. Change the temperature or volume of a container and see a pressure-temperature diagram respond in real time. Relate the interaction potential to the forces between molecules.
Sample Learning Goals
- Describe a molecular model for solids, liquids, and gases.
- Extend this model to phase changes.
- Describe how heating or cooling changes the behavior of the molecules.
- Describe how changing the volume can affect temperature, pressure, and state.
- Relate a pressure-temperature diagram to the behavior of molecules.
- Interpret graphs of interatomic potential.
- Describe how forces on atoms relate to the interaction potential.
- Describe the physical meaning of the parameters in the Lennard-Jones potential, and how this relates to the molecule behavior.